Title: The Simpsons
Release Date: 1991
Class: Wide Release
Maximum number of players: 4
Number of simultaneous players: 4
- Joystick: 8-Way
- Total Buttons: 2
Overview:A jewel heist gone wrong sees Mr Burns's sidekick, Smithers, kidnapping Maggie and making his escape. Between one and four players take on the role of either Homer, Marge, Lisa, or Bart in this colorful, horizontally-scrolling beat-em-up from Konami. Each Simpsons character possesses an attacking move specific to them; Marge is armed with a vacuum cleaner, Lisa has a skipping rope, Bart has his skateboard, and Homer fights with his fists. The players must battle their way through a variety of Simpsons-themed levels - such as Springfield and Krustyland - fighting goons, thugs, zombies, drunks, firemen, and several Simpsons regulars. Many Simpsons characters that don't appear as enemies have 'cameo' scenes in the game (Otto working at a burgerstand in Krustyland, for example). The archetypal 'boss' character awaits the players at the end of every stage. The game ends with a final showdown with the evil Mr. Burns in his luxurious mansion.
Facts & Trivia:Released in April 1991.
This video game is based on the prime-time animated series of the same name created by Matt Groening.
The Simpsons and "Aliens" arcade machines can be seen in the background of the 'Moe's Tavern Stage'. Ever wonder why the Aliens arcade game makes a cameo appearance in The Simpsons? It turns out that both The Simpsons tv show and Aliens (the movie) are made by 20th Century Fox (and of course, Konami got the rights to make the arcade games for both franchises).
Some stuff related to the TV series :
* In the character profiles, Lisa is said to be age 7. In the TV series, she is 8 years old.
* In the Character profile, Homer's age is 35. His real age is 36. Konami goofed that one.
* Bart wears a blue shirt in this game. In the series, he normally wears an orange shirt. The blue shirted Bart appeared on various T-shirts and other Simpsons merchandise. This was even referenced in one episode of the series. Homer was waving Lisa (who wears a red dress) around to attract a bull's attention. Then Homer says 'Now for some calming blue', and reaches for Bart. Seeing that Bart is wearing an orange shirt, he says 'Where's your blue shirt?'. Bart replies 'I don't have a blue shirt'.
* In some parts of the game, the bow in Maggie's hair is pink. Other times, it is the correct blue color.
* The rabbit characters that appear in various places in the game are from Matt Groening's comic strip, 'Life in Hell'.
For more facts and trivia check out www.arcade-history.com and www.arcade-museum.com
Game Ports:Commodore C64 (1991)
PC [MS-DOS, 3.5'' / 5.25''] (1991)
Tips & Tricks / More info:If you want lots of enemies on the screen, change the game settings using the test button on the board, then select very difficult. Get four people to play and there will be loads of baddies! This trick works on most Konami JAMMA games such as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, X-MEN, Asterix and Bucky O'Hare