Title: Cruis'n USA
Release Date: 1994
Developer: Midway Games
Class: Wide Release
Maximum number of players: 1
Number of simultaneous players: 2
- Joystick: Automobile controls
- Total Buttons: 3
Shifter: 4-position (1/2/3/4)
Overview:Race across various cities in the US against 9 other cars. One of the other cars may be controlled by another person if two machines are linked. Emphasis is more on fun versus being a real driving simulator.
Facts & Trivia:Released in November 1994. Cruis'n USA was the first game to be released on the Midway V Unit. Cruis'n USA is also the first driving game to feature digitized (taken from actual footage) textures.
Cruis'n USA and "Killer Instinct" were both released as public previews of the upcoming Nintendo Ultra 64 console (later renamed the Nintendo 64).
The Nintendo 64's hardware is totally different from both of the games' hardware (in fact, both games' hardware are also different from each other) and in many ways inferior, so neither game actually represented the Nintendo 64 console system that the games claim to.
The game was released in upright, sit-down, and full motion cabinets. The upright and sit-down machines support linked play, up to a two game maximum.
A Cruis'n USA unit appears in the 2002 movie 'Van Wilder'.
Game Ports:Nintendo 64
Tips & Tricks / More info:Tips and Tricks:
* Hidden Cars : Hold View 2 at the car selection screen to unlock the school bus, ATV and police car.
* Golden Gate Park Track : Hold View 1 + View 2 at the track selection screen to turn the U.S. 101 track into the Golden Gate Park track.
* Indiana Track : Hold View 1 + View 3 at the track selection screen to turn the Beverly Hills track into the Indiana track.
* San Francisco Track : Hold View 2 + View 3 at the track selection screen to turn the Grand Canyon track into the San Francisco track.
* Free Game : Win two races, then press Accelerate+Start after losing the third race.
* View Credits : Press View 1 + View 2 while the game is not in play.
* Alternate Ferrari : Highlight the first car at the car selection screen. Hold View 1 and rotate the steering wheel fully to the Right, fully to the Left, fully to the Right, fully to the Left, fully to the Right, fully to the Left, then press Accelerate. If done correctly, the Ferrari will turn from red to green-blue. The new Ferrari is faster and easier to control than the red Ferrari.
* Wheelie and Turbo Boost : To pop a wheelie and gain some acceleration, double-tap the gas while driving.