F.A.Q. - Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to ArcadeHype! You may want to start by brushing up on the history of the site or perhaps even the history of its founder, Leo Nanfara!
ArcadeHype is a website for people who love Arcade style gaming and those who enjoy making games, animations and movies. The focus of ArcadeHype.com is the leaderboard scoring system, player challenges and the free content submission for those who love sharing their work with the community.
The purpose of this FAQ is to help users understand how the site works and how they can use it. Any questions that aren't answered here may be directed to the ArcadeHype Administrators.
There are two key components required to take full advantage of the features on this site:
- Adobe Flash Version 9.0+
- Q: What if I have an older version of Flash?
A: Many of the site's features and games require Flash 9 or higher, without it users will not be able to view certain parts of the site such as Featured games or Popular games and may not be able to play all the games available on ArcadeHype. There is a pretty good chance you'll still be able to view many ArcadeHype games and movies, but an increasing number of submissions take advantage of newer Flash features. Do yourself a favor and upgrade now.
- Q: Which Web browser should i be using?
- A: We highly recommend using either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both of these browsers are more secure and much faster as compared to Internent Explorer or Safari. We strongly recommend that you upgrade to either of these two web browsers.
- Q: Why should I make sure cookies are enabled?
- A: This site uses browser cookies to keep users logged in as they jump from page to page, and for other small tasks such as displaying profile statistics.
- Q: Why does my computer need to have the correct date and time?
- A: Changing the date or time on your computer may affect the cookies used by this site by causing them to expire prematurely, and could potentially cause login errors.
ArcadeHype User Account
ArcadeHype accounts are completely free, and the sign-up form
is quick and simple. Having an account with ArcadeHype is useful for several reasons, because you gain:
- Access to post comments on games, fanimations, retrospecs and classic arcade titles
- Ability to submit content
- Challenge high scores
- Save your favorite games to your favorites list
- Add players to your friends list
- View challenge victories in your ArcadeHype control panel
- Play for a spot in the Top 20 players list
- Level up your account and gain prestige several times over
- Reach legendary status by getting inducted into the ArcadeHype hall of fame
User Page Configurations
- Q: How do I edit my profile and other information?
- A: The main control panel can be accessed at anytime through the mini account panel which is displayed on every page while you are logged in. Once there, the link to edit/update General Information is located in the "Edit Profile" link.
- Q: How do I find the URL for my profile?
- A: You can view your profile by logging into your account under the control panel. The profile page displays your account stats, high scores and challenges won. Your profile is also made live to the public and can be viewed by other players. Public profiles can be accessed on the leaderboads and High Scores pages and also your friends list.
- Q: Can i add other member as friends? is there a friends list feature?
- A: Yes. You can add other players to your friends list by clicking on the "Add to Friends List" button. Once you add a player to your friends list that player will receive an email notification stating that you have you have added that player to your friends list.
- Q: Can I send personal messages to other ArcadeHype players?
- A: No. ArcadeHype currently does not have a private messaging system. However, this is an option we are looking to add in the near future.
- Q: How do I add/remove games from my favorites list?
- A: Your favourite list of games can be accessed through the mini control panel. You will have the option of adding a game to your favourites list while you are playing a game in the game details area located just below the game (look for the Yellow Star icon with the letter F marked in it)
- Q: What can I do if I find an inappropriate movie or game in any of the Arcade Portals?
- A: All content submitted to ArcadeHype is generally screened before going live. However, if you come across a movie, a piece of artwork or a game that you feel is in appropriate please use the "Report" feature associated with the content and send us your reason explaining why you deem the content inappropriate. Your message will be reviewed and processed by a member of the ArcadeHype team.
- Q: What can I do if I find out a movie or game is stolen?
- A: The last thing we want is people uploading stolen content. If a user finds a movie, artwork or game that is stolen, please use the "Report" feature associated with the content and send us a message explaining the situation. Your message will be reviewed and processed by a member of the ArcadeHype team.
- Q: Can I make money from my submitted content?
- A: At the moment no. We currently do not have any financial rewards for top performing content on ArcadeHype however we are looking to implement a revenue sharing system in the near future so stay tuned.
- Q: Why doesn't my submitted content appear instantly on ArcadeHype?
- A: All submitted content is reviewed before being approved for the ArcadeHype network. Reviewing a submission could take up to a week before a decision is made. By reviewing the content being submitted we can ensure a high level of quality content on the ArcadeHype network for players to enjoy.
- Q: Is my personal information protected from third party vendors?
- A: Yes. ArcadeHype does not share any personal information with outside vendors or advertisers. We only provide third party vendors with general traffic statistics such as age groups and demographics.
- Q: Does ArcadeHype purchase games or provide game sponsorships?
- A: No. We do not purchase internet games outright since the long term lifespan for casual games is usually quite short. We are currently exploring the idea of sponsorship for games but we believe the most rewarding system for our users would be a revenue sharing system - which we are looking to implement in the near future.
Top 20 Leaderboard
- Q: How does the top 20 Leaderboards work? And how do i get on the Leaderboard?
- A: Players who actively participate on ArcadeHype have the ability to level up their account.
The Top 20 players on ArcadeHype who possess the highest levels will be shown on the Leaderboard. Players can get instantly knocked off the Leaderboard at any time if they fall behind and other players surpass their level. Tip: If you want to level up faster, challenge and defeat other players scores (this will earn you 80xp points).
Hall of Fame
- Q: How does a user get inducted into the Hall of Fame?
- A: Once a player reaches level 50 status they are automatically inducted into the ArcadeHype Hall of Fame. When a player reaches level they will be given the option to prestige and their account level will reset back to 1. A prestige icon will appear on your player stats page so that other players can see what a badass you really are. Tip: The player with the most prestige points will be at the very top of the AracdeHype Hall of Fame list…hail to the king.
- Q: Do I get awards or achievements for my score accomplishments?
- A: ArcadeHype does not currently have an awards system in place. However we do have plans to include an achievement system in the near future so stay tuned.
Player Ranking System
- Q: What is a level?
- A: Your account level is simply used to rank you against other players on ArcadeHype. There are 3 ways in which you can earn experience points to level up:
• Games which allow you to submit your score to ArcadeHype will earn you 25xp points.
• Beating high scores will earn you 40xp points.
• Challenging scores and defeating your opponents will earn you 80xp points.
- 1500 experience points are required between each level up. We are also planning to have Double XP weekends which will double the experience points outlined above.
- Q: How does the Level up system work?
- A: Players can level up by actively playing games on ArcadeHype. The more you participate the faster you can level up. You can level up even faster by defeating other players scores so make sure you challenge other players scores from the High Scores page. Your level status is indicated by your level meter and the corresponding level number displayed on your profile page.
- Q: What is the purpose of the Leveling up?
- A: The level up system allows you to get inducted into the ArcadeHype Leaderboards. The top 20 players on the leaderboard are the highest level players on the ArcadeHype network. So the real purpose of levelling up is bragging rights : ] Oh, and you can also get yourself into the ArcadeHype Hall of Fame once you reach level 50.
- Q: Does my level ranking get lowered if I lose game challenges?
- A: No. Your level will not be lowered if you lose a game challenge. Only victories are recorded and updated to your account.
- Q: What is the purpose of the Status name?
- A: Your status name is associated with your current level. Status names are associated with each level up and are simply a way of indicating what type of rank you are. Ex. A level 1 player has a status of Noobie where as a Level 10 player has a status of Arcade Junkie.
- Q: Do I lose ownership of my content if I submit it ArcadeHype?
- A: No. All users retain ownership to any content they submit to ArcadeHype.
- Q: Are submitted games freely distributable?
- A: Yes. Since ArcadeHype does not own any of the content submitted to the network we do provide embed source code for other people to freely share your game or movie on other traffic sources.
- Q: Can I edit or updated information on submitted content once it is posted?
- A: No, all submissions to ArcadeHype are final so be sure to post your content as accurately as possible.
- Q: Can my content be removed without notice?
- A: Yes. We retain the right to remove any content from the ArcadeHype network without notice.
- Q: Why can my content be removed?
- A: ArcadeHype retains the right to remove any content we deem inappropriate. If users send in reports about inappropriate content then we will conduct a proper investigation of the content and make a final decision on whether or not the content should be removed from the network.
- Q: Do you have guidelines for submitted content?
- A: Yes. Guidelines for submitted content can be reviewed on the submit forms. Please read over the terms carefully and be sure that your content complies with our terms. Failure to comply with our terms may result in a suspension of your account for 30 days or removal of your account from ArcadeHype.
- Q: Are there any general submission guidelines?
- A: Yep. Here they are:
- We do not seek movies that are racist or excessively pornographic - artists should use their best judgment.
- We do not want "demos" or incomplete content, this will result in your content being denied on ArcadeHype.
- We despise movies that auto-redirect or auto-spawn windows to other sites. If people like a submission they will click on a link that takes them there anyway. If we catch a user using an auto-redirect or auto-spawn, the offending ArcadeHype account may be deleted.
- Users MUST NOT upload movies that they did not make. We will ban the IP address of any offenders and ArcadeHype suddenly won't be so fun anymore. Also keep in mind that a user uploading a movie or game is making a legal claim that it is their original work. We also love it when users put the ArcadeHype preloader in their movies. Check out the ArcadeHype Preloaders page!
Fanimations, Games & Retrospecs
- Q: Why aren't my movies, games or videos being accepted?
- A: We have a 10 megabyte file size limit for fanimations and games. We set this limit to encourage more optimized Flash submissions. Also, fanimations and games should be in a .swf (flash) or .dcr (shockwave) format.
- Q: Can I upload movie files directly for Retrospecs?
- A: No. We recommend you upload your movie to youtube and then paste the iframe embed URL (URL only, not the entire iframe code) in the youtube field on retrospec submission page. This will help reduce stress on our servers and will also expose your work to a wider audience...its a win-win for both parties.
- Q: What do I do if I discover a movie, game or video that violates the rules?
- A: Please use the "Report" link button associated with the content to file a report. ArcadeHype moderators will review every complaint, conduct an investigation and make a final decision on whether to remove the content from our network or not.
- Q: What are the rules for submitting artwork?
- A: The rules are:
- No photographs! We recognize photography as an artistic endeavor, but we're not including it in our Fanart gallery.
- You must be the owner and creator of the work you are submitting.
- Racist or hateful material will be removed.
- Illegal material will be removed.
- We try to be tolerant, but reserve the right to draw the line on adult material. In general, funny stuff gets a pass but downright pervert-bate may cross the line.
- Q: No photographs? What about a photo of a painting I did in real life?
- A: A photograph of a sculpture, painting, or some other piece of art you have made are in fact are exceptions to this rule. Feel free to submit scans and photographs of your art if it's not already in a digital format.
- Q: Do animated .gifs count as art?
- A: Only animated .gifs that YOU have created may be submitted. Do not upload animated .gifs that you have gleaned from the Internet, as the Art Portal is not your personal storage space for things you find funny.
- Q: What about art created using a tutorial of some kind?
- A: If you created a piece of art by following a tutorial, please refrain from posting it. Art submission is for artistic endeavors, not images created by following a set of instructions. Tutorials are a great way to learn to draw but their final products aren't necessarily art, they are merely copies.
- Q: What do I do if I discover art that breaks the rules?
- A: Please use the "Report" link underneath each artwork to report art that breaks the rules. ArcadeHype moderators will review every complaint and delete the offending submissions.